Sunday, September 08, 2013

Back in the baking saddle again....

Since I found out I have Celiac's Disease, I've been trying to figure out this whole new gluten free lifestyle.

At first, I'd walk over to my baking cupboard. Open it up. Survey all the various types of flours for all of my cooking and baking. Get overwhelmed. And end up standing there, staring into the cupboard eating a handful of chocolate chips.

OK, two handfuls.

OK, OK, three handfuls.

Once that freaking back of chocolate chips was gone, I cleaned out the cupboard. 

Open items with gluten went to various friends and coworkers, as if I was finding good homes for my beloved baking supplies.

Unopened items (such as soups, beef stock, etc) went to the food bank. Have I mentioned before how annoying it is that wheat is in EVERYTHING!

But I digress. My friends and family have been so supportive through all of this! I've received new GF cookbooks! (Thanks Sara!) I've received emails, texts and facebook messages from friends with new GF blogs, websites, products, apps and recipes to try out.

So it was only a matter of time before I forced myself to snap out of my mope and get my GF butt back into my new cleaned and GF'd kitchen.


Megan (a friend named Megan, I haven't started referring to myself in third person, don't worry), sent me a link to the latest Martha Stewart cookie recipe for the month. It's                GF Oatmeal cookie with raisins and chocolate chips. And you know how I love Ms. Stewart! 

After trips to two different grocery stores (sigh...yes....two. On a Friday night nonetheless. Exciting, I know.) I was ready.


This one called for making your flour by pulverizing GF oats into a fine oat flour. 


Done and done. Thank you my lovely food processor.

I swapped out the raisins for dried cranberries. Used mini chocolate chips.


And.

And...

Freakin' delish! Just the right amount of crunch and gooey cookie ratio one needs.


Friends, readers be warned. There are more GF adventures in the kitchen to come.

2 comments:

Sara K. said...

Those look DE-LISH!!! I hope the cookbook is good! I looked up reviews and the recipes and many looked so yummy, I almost bought it for myself! I can't wait for more baking adventures.

Manish Batra said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Knee Cap

Keep Posting:)