Saturday, June 21, 2008

My first local side dish

I've been inspired by Heather (and Jen's yummy dishes too!) to try her get local challenge. But I'll confess, I don't think I'm really good at eating local all the time. I try to be, but sometimes, life just doesn't lend to eating local (i.e. running late for work, grab a Lean Cuisine and a Diet Coke - although I'm secretly hoping there's a Coke factory around Seattle somewhere so that would, technically make it local. I think.) But I digress. Tonight, I was able to pull something together. While BBQing our dinner (that was somewhat local), the hubby said:
"So, do we have a salad with dinner?"

I said, "No, we're out of spinach."

He said, "Well, whats that?"
That was my lettuce in the container garden. I guess I was waiting for it to get a little bigger. I guess he was really hungry. Without any veggies to add to the salad (tomorrow is my weekly trip to the Farmers Market), I tossed in dried cranberries and feta and he scarfed it down.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Brilliant! Not only is it local...but you grew it!!! What could be better?!?! -S