Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sometimes you need a little encouragement from a Junior High Gym Teacher

Monday night I went to Purly Girls. I was happy to be there and working on my socks. I finished turning the heel but I had no desire to pick up the stitches and work on the gusset. I just didn't want to do it. My other project was a lace project (more details to come later) and I can't work on that one and be social at the same time, well I can, but it's riddled with mistakes if I do.


So I sat there, staring at my sock, mentally willing the stitches to pick up themselves. Then Jean and Molly chimed in words of encouragement and tips. They were sweet. Amanda just laughed at me. Monica told me to get to work. But Katie, she had a different approach. She channeled her inner Junior High Gym Teacher. You know the one. She yelled at you. A lot. She yelled at you to run faster. Jump higher. Don't be afraid of the ball even though it was flying at you at a freakishly fast rate of speed and you followed every natural instinct in your body to duck. I mean, I'm just guessing that's what she said.

Katie told me I was bigger than the sock. She threatened to yell at me to get me to knit. It was slightly frightening, but it worked. I picked up the stitches. I figured out the pattern. Then I went home and ate ice cream with chocolate sauce. It was slightly traumatic.

But the heel is coming along just nicely.


3 comments:

Jen said...

Too funny!!!

Holli said...

OMG! I'm dying. Katie sounds like my kind girl.

Sara K. said...

Isn't it funny that we can all relate?!? Sounds like Sue Sylvester on Glee, my new favorite!