Thursday, August 02, 2007

Knitting conversations with drunk boys

A few weeks ago (I meant to post this then but got busy) I went to Mara's bachelorette party. We had a fabulous time drinking wine, laughing at the gifts and eating a great dinner. Then it was time to hit the bars! We went to a couple of bars, drinking more cocktails and wine through the evening. When we got to a particular bar, Diana and I were outside with our group chatting with this fine upstanding gentleman who was, shall we say, pretty freakin' drunk. He was polite enough and asked us how we knew each other. This is the conversation that followed:

Drunk guy: "How do you two know each other?"
Diana and I exchange a glance and big smiles.
"We're friends from knitting!" Diana exclaimed.
"Yes," I said, "We love to knit!" as we giggled a bit.
"And we knit in public!" Diana added.
"And we're proud of it!" I said as we both broke out in laughter.
I expected the typical glazed over look that usually comes when one mentions knitting to men. Instead our little inebriated friend said this:
"Cool. Do you girls shop at Tricoter?" (Note to my non-local readers, Tricoter just happens to be the most expensive and some what snobby yarn store in town.)
Now, it was our turn for the glazed over look. We exchanged quizzical glances at each other before I stammered out:
"How do you know about Tricoter?"
"My aunt knits. That's where she shops."
"Cool," we said, nodding our heads in approval.

2 comments:

Sara K. said...

Funny! :) -S

Jenileo said...

That's funny! I get that all the time with men. I'm 30ish and it confuses as to why I'm knitting, like I should be old and ugly. I keep telling the guys I know that knitting is very sexy, but they still are not buying it. I can see why both of you were speechless when a man actually could carry on a knitting conversation. Haha!