Friday, June 16, 2006

Finding my inner athlete

Last night I went to hear Sally Edwards speak about triathalons, training and finding your inner athlete and the girl who used to love to be active in you. It was great to hear all she's accomplished. It's amazing what the body can do when you put your mind to it! I've never considered myself athletic. I never liked P.E. in school - hated it in fact. Wasn't ever any good at softball that I used to play in elementary school and junior high during the summers. I never really stuck with anything athletic. I liked to hike and go for walks. I used to go rollerblading during the spring/summer/fall where I used to live. I like yoga and pilates and I do love kickboxing. But still, I didn't consider myself athletic. I was still always slow, never flexible enough for the downward dog or some sort of knot like position. But the idea of training for the Danskin Sprint Triathalon thrills and scares me at the same time. I've discovered a new confidence and skill at swimming after a few months of lessons. I hope to discover more as I dust off the bike and get out on the open road. I love how my body feels tired/exhaused/great after a run. I think I'm going to like the althetic me. I think I'm going to want to keep her around. I like how she makes me feel.

1 comment:

Rebecca Mongrain said...

Yes! Your inner athlete is out in full force and even conquered a scary bike ride today!