Monday, May 08, 2006

Discovery something new about me

So I know I'm bad at math. Not anything new. I've been bad at math since the multiplication chart of second grade. Things got worse in fifth grade when long division entered the picture. It was all down hill from there. Don't even get me started on algebra and geometry (actually that one wasn't that bad thanks to Mr. Burt of Osbourn Park High in Manassas, Va.) but you get the picture. I discovered something else I'm bad at this past weekend: estimating yarn lengths.
Example A:



In an effort to double the yarn throughout a pattern, I thought I'd just estimate when I was about halfway through winding the skein, then cut it off and start over. Didn't work out so well. And it seems to have tainted the project. As of yet, I've tried two size of needles and I'm still not matching with the gauge. I'm just such a loose knitter I'm really struggling with the fine yarn (it's Lorna's Laces Helen's Lace in peach) and small needles. But I need the challenge. I'm making the tank top sweater from One Skein. Now I'm going to attempt the swatch on a size four. If I have to go any smaller, I seriously believe, at the rate that I knit, that I'll have the sweater done by August - 2008.

No comments: