Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The woes of a loose knitter

This weekend I checked out the One Skein Trunk Show at Weaving Works. I wanted to see for myself the tank top sweater that I've already spent the money on, have been talking about for weeks and have already failed miserably at trying to find the right gauge for (twice now). So I checked it out. I touched it. I examined it. And I thought, "Damn, those are tight, small stitches." I am a loose knitter. A very loose knitter. I just went a head and purchased a size 4 and 3 needles for my next attempt at the gauge (I think the original pattern calls for a size 7). I am a little frightened of the frailty of the yarn and the tininess of the needles. I asked a sales lady if she had any tips on how to knit tighter. I told her my predicament and she just looked at me and said, "Ya, it sounds like you're a loose knitter." Thanks.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Don't worry about the yarn. Silk is a very long, strong fiber and wool is very elastic. You may get better tension if you hold your yarn differently--but that may also feel awkward. The obvious solution is what you're doing, going down needle sizes until you get gauge.