Sunday, July 20, 2008

Getting off the bench & into the game

I'm officially getting off the bench and signing up for Heather's local food challenge! For weeks now, I've been admiring the delightfully delicious creations everyone has cooked up. Now it's my turn to get creative while supporting local farmers.

And it's a good thing too. We've signed up for organic delivery for fruits and veggies, however they have all organic stuff but they still get stuff from Mexico, New Zealand, etc. I had to explain to the hubby that he couldn't buy anything that wasn't from Washington or Oregon (and I don't even think the Oregon stuff counts for the food challenge). In fact, on our first order they sent us a fact sheet about our food. It said that the average food travels from the fields to the table is 1500 miles. Our first order: our food came a whopping 1450. Clearly we have our work cut out for us.

4 comments:

Sara K. said...

I am so excited that you are joining us! Can't wait to see your creations! Organic is a great start...nothing to feel bad about that! What a great service! Have a wonderful day! -S

Anonymous said...

Wow Meg! That's great. We eat lots of organic food, but not always local. I've been wanting to sign up for organic delivery too! Let me know how you like it, and maybe I'll do the same...

Jen said...

I am glad that you have jumped on the bandwagon. It has been really fun doing this challenge.

Anonymous said...

Yippee! We're glad to have you!

I love that Amy Karol book , BTW!! Everything I've made turns out great.

Enjoy your Birthday celebrations...