Thursday, October 26, 2006

Environmentally Friendly

Rebecca's post from the other day got me thinking about my energy consumption. I've been noticing over the past few months, I've been becoming more aware about my energy use, recycling, etc. I do think part of it stems from some projects I've been working on at work. So I decided to sign up the for the Eight-Week Carbon Diet by Slate Green and Treehugger. I took the test and learned that my household uses up 22,488 lbs of carbon emissions a year - about the same as 2.21 passenger cars (btw - it's way less than Rebecca's usage - but who's counting). I think I do my part:
  1. I ride the bus to work every day
  2. I recycle at home
  3. I've started to wash all of my clothes in cold water
  4. I do all my laundry at once to save on energy from the dryer stopping and starting throughout the week (actually, I've always done that but it was because I just wanted to be done with the laundry at once and not drag it out all freakin' week.)

But there is still lots of room for improvements - to be honest, I'm sitting in my home with all the heaters in each room running because I'm tired of being cold all the time! And yes, I'm wearing layers! It's just day one of the challenge I guess - long way to go!

(Sara, I see you eagerly clicking to this challenge, April, you're rolling your eyes and laughing at us greenies - but you still love us!)

4 comments:

Rebecca Mongrain said...

That's because you can take the bus! Good for you though! Let's be green together

Anonymous said...

I love this!!! I am in!

You need to check out the site called Ideal Bite. I found it during Martha Stewart's green week. If you like to, you can sign up for a daily tip. This tip is to help you "lightly" go green a little step by a little step! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Megs- I beat you by just a smidge:
21.451.9 - or 2.11 cars.

Its more than I thought I would have...I better get to work too (but I do LOVE a long hot shower!!!)

IdahoGirls said...

Boy do you know me Megs! Rolling eyes BIG time, but yes I do still love ya both! The funny thing is I am the ex-Biolog major I should be the tree hugging energy loving one... Oh well, off to fill another landfill with something non-biodegradable! Hee hee