Sunday, October 01, 2006

The little dancing sweater with a voice

Yesterday I met Rebecca for a little afternoon knitting at Third Place Books. It was good to sit, chat and knit with her. I was starting a new project and as usual, she forced me into making a gauge swatch. I'm making the Hot Head Hat from Stitch n' Bitch out of Nature Wool Chunky for Matt. The swatch turned out perfectly and I eagerly cast on the 64 stitches and began the k2 p2 repeat pattern. However, somewhere in row 1 I got a little distracted and was off on my pattern. I tried ripping out, but being the "special" knitter that I am, got all messed up. Rebecca was kind enough to immediately rip out all that I had done - but she did cast on my 64 stitches for me so all was quickly forgiven. As I started the pattern again, I told her she couldn't talk or stare at me while I got the first row of the pattern down (I'm not so sure why I was having difficulty with this - I guess that's the beauty of me - screw up the easy crap). So while I'm carefully knitting and purling, Rebecca took her project - the Egg Warmer Sweater from Weekend Knitting (it was really cute and she started and finished it while we were there) and began to make it dance and have a little annoying voice. When I cast a withering stare at her over my knitting, she simply laughed and said. "You never said anything about voices and dancing sweaters." True, I didn't.

This is the reason I need to knit guage swatches: Here is the Irish Hiking Scarf Rebecca and I are both working on in the same yarn. She is on gauge, I am not.

3 comments:

Rebecca Mongrain said...

The sweater says hello! It misses you! Go dancing sweater go!

Shawn S. said...

Hey Megs- For the non-knitter...what's a gauge?

Shawn S. said...

Come on Megs - help for the non-knitter - I need a vocaulary page!